Founder and Partner at CapstoneLaw.
Hans counsels international and domestic asset managers, funds, institutional and private investors, banks, and other financial intermediaries on investment management and corporate matters as well as financial market regulations.
Hans focuses on formation, marketing and management of private funds, manager and fund level transactions, operational and compliance issues as well as regulatory filings.
He advises institutional and private investors in connection with a wide range of semi liquid and illiquid investments through managed accounts, club deals, and commingled products and is experienced in fund interest acquisitions and negotiation of co-investments. He has guided clients through multiple commercial challenges including key person events, investor defaults, manager replacements, spin-outs and other strategic corporate transactions.
Hans’ breadth of expertise and leadership of complex fund related transactions across multiple jurisdictions have earned him a reputation as a leader in private fund matters across a wide variety of strategies including private equity, venture capital, renewable power, real estate and private credit including direct lending, corporate private placement as well as mezzanine financing. As a speaker, Hans is addressing audiences at international fund and investor conferences and is involved in developing policy maker initiatives.
Hans received his Doctorate in Law from the University of Lausanne (2004) and his Master in European and International Economic Law from LMU Munich (2003). He is admitted in Zurich (Art. 28 BGFA) and Munich.
- Partner with CapstoneLaw, Zurich, since 2017
- BlackRock Switzerland, previously Swiss Re Private Equity Partners: In-House Counsel (since 2015 Deputy Head Legal & Compliance BlackRock Switzerland), Zurich, 2012 – 2017.
- UBS AG: In-House Counsel and Private Funds Product Expert, Zurich, 2008 – 2012.
- Equity Trust Fund Services, In-House Counsel, Luxembourg, 2007 – 2008.
- Bundesverband Alternative Investments, In-House Counsel, Bonn, 2006 – 2007.
- Ebner Stolz, Associate, Munich, 2004 – 2006.
- Member Zurich Bar Association
- Member Swiss Bar Association
- Member Munich Bar Association
- Member of the AMAS working group L-QIF (Swiss Limited Qualified Investor Fund)
- Zurich, Switzerland (Art. 28 BGFA)
- Munich, Germany (Art. 12 BRAO)
- Doctorate in Law (Doctorat en Droit), Université de Lausanne, 2004 (Prix de l’Association des Anciens Étudiants de l’Université de Lausanne).
- Master in European and International Economic Law (LL.M.Eur.), Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, 2003 (with highest distinction).
- Bar Exam (Second State Exam), Munich, 2001, Secondments with Lette LLP, Montréal and Drew & Napier LLC, Singapore.
- Certificate in Financial Accounting and Balance Sheet Analysis, Chamber of Commerce, Munich, 2000.
- Graduate Law Degree (First State Exam), Munich, 1999, Law Studies at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München and Université de Lausanne.
Awards & Recognition
Who’s Who Legal says: “The brilliant Hans Moritz is held in high esteem as a dominant force in the Swiss private funds market.” “His strong business acumen across the gamut of fund types is further acclaimed.” “He is lauded by clients for his profound understanding of the market and incredible ability to describe complex legal matters in plain English” and is highlighted for his “immaculate knowledge of regulatory and sales compliance.”
- Thorough Due Diligence Required – Legal and Tax Aspects of Private Market Investments, in German, (with Mirjam Staub-Bisang), in Schweizer Personalvorsorge 09/2018, p. 88 – 89.
- Reforming Hedge Fund Regulation in Germany (with Achim Pütz), in International Investor, Spring 2007, p. 92 – p. 94.
- German Hedge Fund Regulation – a Perspective on Forthcoming Developments, (with Achim Pütz), in Euromoney – Hedge Fund and Alternative Investments Handbook 2007, p. 57 – p. 63.
- Amendment of the German Investment Act (with Achim Pütz), in German, in Absolutreport February/March 2007, p. 32 – p. 39.
- Hedge Fund Regulation in Germany – Some Room for Improvement (with Achim Pütz), in German, in Absolutreport 06/2006, p. 46 – p. 53.
- The German Sales Prospectus Ordinance: Legal Requirements of the Sales Prospectus of Closed-ended Funds, in German, (with Paul Grimm), in Betriebs-Berater 7/2005, p. 337 – p. 344.
CapstoneLaw has finely tuned legal, compliance and business experience along the entire value chain of asset management and financial services.